Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Musical Stories 10: Romance

I've got bad news and good news. (Yes, I know it's usually the other way round, I like to keep you on your toes!) The bad news is that this is the last week of Musical Stories, sort of, as 10 seemed a good number to finish on. The good news is that I've decided to do it all again, so next week we'll be going back to our first genre, except with different songs, obviously!

This week's genre is Romance, so you can all come out from behind the sofas after last week's horror choices. Let me tell you it was much much harder than I expected. After all there are gazillions of songs about romance, right? Sure, but you would be surprised at how many of them are actually about doomed romances, which is no good for us. Our romance readers like to end with at least a hint of a happy ever after, I'm sure! Then there are the many many songs that, whilst about love and romance, don't actually have a storyline. I've never been an editor, but I'm pretty sure I can guess what their reaction would be if they received a story that was basically 'I love you, you love me, wow we're happy'. But, of course I persevered and I came up with three that I hope you'll enjoy, and if you don't, come back next week for the SciFi :-)

Song number one I actually pinched from my friend Abby at Something to Write About. I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of the artist or the song until she posted it on her blog a few weeks ago. Something made me note the name, and I'm glad I did, so thanks Abby! What I like about this song is that not only does the singer reference what some consider to be the most romantic tragedy of all time, but she still manages to give her story a happy ending. I guess that's what they call a new twist on an old idea!

The second song is a slight cheat as it isn't a whole story, but I think it does a wonderful job of describing the build up to the first romantic encounter, and I don't think the scene would be out of place in a romance novel today, even though the song is thirty years old.

I'm putting my pretend editor's hat back on for the last one. 'This story has far too much back-story, and is all tell and no show. It is also the most romantic thing I have ever read.' Or something :-)






27 comments:

  1. He, he-you pinched it from Abby. I've heard #1 and #3, but not #2. I just want to wear the dress Taylor Swift gets to wear when she's Juliet.

    Nice choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At risk of sounding like a huge cheeseball, I lurve Anne Murray. My husband and I danced to "Can I have this Dance (for the rest of my life)" at our wedding. Sigh. Warm fuzzies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that Taylor Swift song. And the music video! SO cute! Thanks for the new recommendations. As always. I've never heard of numbers 2 or 3. You're awesome! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, LOVE! I run into the same problem when I make a mix for whatever book I'm working on...so much doomed love!! Haha! Love these three,though, and it's perfect timing, because I definitely need to switch up the iPod songs! Cool post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of number two. It's always fun to hear something new. Romance and music, how could you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, I'd not heard of any of those. Shows the kind of music I usually listen to, hehe. Some good choices though, I never realised how many romance songs don't actually tell a story, or how many focus on doomed romances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely premise for stories....and thanks for the songs :)

    Stopping by to invite you to The Rule of Three Blogfest ---a month-long shared-world fiction extravaganza in October with some great prizes, and of course, a lot of exposure for your writing.

    Check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good choices once again, and well done for narrowing it to just three. I would have naturally gravitated to the 80s rock ballards (I'm stuck in an era and get can't out of it!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, romance! I do love a good HEA. And I like Taylor Swift. That kid really knows how to tell a story in a song.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you've never heard of taylor swift!?!?! how's that possible!?!?

    at work, there's always a radio playing, and since we're in rural kansas the only station that comes in is country. and she's like every tenth song that plays. i've never seen the video before, though. and it's gorgeous! my favorite line is where she ref's the scarlet letter: "you were romeo, i was the scarlet letter, and your daddy said stay away from juliet..." and then at the end it goes, "i've talked to your dad, you'll pick out a white dress, it's a love story, baby just say yes."

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are soooo many good ones for romance. I think you picked well. Was is Taylor Sift you had never heard of? That cracks me up only because my daughter loves her so much I feel like I dream Taylor Swift music at night:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'I needed you' gets my vote. Love that song. But how can you possibly choose three songs about love. There are just too many wonderful ones out there. My favourite of all time is a very old one sung by Cleo Laine to the music from Deerhunter and it's called 'He was Beautiful'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Taylor's dress, but the whole Romeo and Juliet references drives me nuts. =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember watching the first one once--but the others I don't recognize!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Taylor swift is a bit of a story-telling genius imho! And I was brought up listening to that Hazel O'Connor song on spitting vinyl... never heard of the third though... good for having a heaving sob to if needed me thinks:) fab post
    Lxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how cool! I loved this, it was such a great treat. Thanks for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many songs - so many love stories! How on earth can you choose? Great post, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  18. At the end of this I come to the conclusion I am NOT a musical cat at all - almost everything you mentioned I had never heard of! Purrhaps I am just too old? Miaou...purrowls off to find Beethoven.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOOH MAN! I haven't heard that Anne Murray song in years. I think the last time was when we had to sing it in highschool choir.

    We did not have the talent of Glee.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, it's official. I'm a dinosaur. I only know Anne Murray's song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't heard any of these, so thanks for sharing.

    The last one gave me chills.

    Yay, more songs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohh I love romance songs... The Taylor Swift one is too awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jenny - It's beautiful, isn't it?

    Julie - Glad to bring back happy memories :-)

    Chantele - Glad to show you something new :-)

    Elizabeth - Doomed love does seem to be more popular than HEA in music :-)

    Ruth J - It was in a film called 'Breaking Glass' from 1981. I must have watched it a dozen times.

    Claudia - It's sweet, isn't it?

    Jamie - We have very different tastes, I know! I like to think we're broadening each others horizons :-)

    Damyanti - Thank you, and I'll check the blogfest out.

    Annalisa - I'm an 80's girl too. I have to remember that not everyone is when I choose the songs :-)

    Linda G - I totally agree - on both points :-)

    Vic - I always listen to my own stuff, which means that unless my daughters introduce me to it, or other bloggers do, (like this one), it passes me by :-)

    Deana - Yeah, it was Taylor, guilty as charged :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rosalind - It was harder than I thought to find songs that actually told a story and were 'happy ever after'. I'll check out 'He was beautiful', thanks.

    RaShelle - Out of interest, is it just her song, or all references generally?

    The Golden Eagle - I'm going to have to join the world of 21st century music, I think :-)

    Laura - I love that you were brought up with Hazel O'Connor. Was it the 'Breaking Glass' soundtrack, or just that song?

    regectedriter - You're very welcome. Music every Friday :-)

    Pat - It was very hard this week!

    Cat - Absolutely nothing wrong with Beethoven :-)

    East Coaster - We never got to sing anything interesting at school. Probably for the best ...

    J. L. Campbell - Not a dinosaur, just different musical circles :-)

    Medeia - Glad you found something you liked :-)

    Tania - Who doesn't love romance? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Here it is! Great song choices! I totally love Taylor's dresses in that video. I wish I had a reason to wear one like it. They're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those dresses are awesome indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete

I happily answer all comments on my blog, and by email if it's not a 'noreply' address :-)