Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Musical Stories 5: Chick Lit

Apologies for being quiet this week. My house is upside down as we change rooms around and turn the junk room into another bedroom. It's taking longer than I thought so I might be missing for a few days next week too. If I take a while to get to your blog, I'm sorry, but I will get there. I have to take a lot of breaks from lugging furniture around and I keep sneaking looks at a few blogs at a time :) Please bear with me, normal service will be resumed as soon as all the right furniture is back in the right rooms, and someone has come to move the sofa off my driveway.

This week, the theme for musical genres is chick lit. You don't know how tempted I was to include I will survive, but I resisted the urge! The songs I've picked don't all have 'happy endings' as such, but if you think of them as the first half of the book, they would all make great plots.

Number one is such a fun song. It was so so hard to pick just one track from the wonderful Kirsty MacColl that I cheated slightly, in that she wrote and recorded track number three too. In the interests of diversity though, I've picked someone else singing it. Kirsty was the same age as I am now when she was killed saving her child from a speedboat. I won't go into it, it's on Wikipedia if you're interested, but the world lost a great talent that day.

Number two is beautiful. I think of the story as really being about the person who's singing the song, not the person she's singing about. How many of us have had to watch a friend make a mistake, knowing all we can do is pick them up when they fall?

I picked number three because how can I have chick lit week without mentioning shoes? As I said before, this is another of Kirsty's songs but the person performing it here was new to me. Be warned, the girl is hawt!

Next week's genre is War. Yes, I may be expanding into sub genres but let's keep that to ourselves shall we? :)







21 comments:

  1. Don't think I know any of these songs. I need to widen my music knowledge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know these songs either... happy writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Camille O'Sullivan. She has a great voice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's no suprise that I don't know one of these! I'm not what you'd call a music enthusiast but thank you for widening my music knowledge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting choices and no worries, we are all here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good song choices. I never thought of music being so inspirational to my writing, but I am finding that LOTS of people use it! I love that. I love how you have talked about applying it to your writing. Very cool!

    Hope you get the room rearranging done soon. That is such a big job. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at Ani DeFranco. Sooooo goooood. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! My genre! Those are great songs. :)

    Hope you're having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are delightful. Thanks for sharing them. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We saw Christine Ohlman last Sunday night. She's a blues singer and she sings some killer songs about women.
    I like how you're doing music for topics.
    I might "borrow" the idea. I'll say I got it from you.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post .....for an incredible
    Comment about war, google Gen.Smedley Butler.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these! Thanks for the music recommendations! I love finding new inspiration! :) And LOL about wanting to choose I Will Survive! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, shoes are a TOP prioity. Love them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Music Billy, that's me - nice to know I'm not alone in that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now you know why I'm reluctant to move. ;)

    Too bad we're going to have to one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your song choices. I wasn't familiar with them but they seem to fit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. J.L. Campbell - I've picked some obscure ones this week, I have to admit!

    Michelle - Hope you liked them :)

    AA - she was new to me too, I think she's great.

    Jen - You're very welcome :)

    Abby - glad you liked the songs, thanks!

    Emily - yay! Another Ani fan, awesome!

    Talli - you knew I'd get there eventually :)

    Medeia - thank you so much.

    Life 101 - you're welcome to help yourself any time. Thanks for the google tips, I'll check them bot h out.

    CQG - thank you so much!

    Chantele - 'I will survive' has to be THE ultimate chick lit song ;-)

    RaShelle - but of course!

    Patsy - you're never alone (okay, that sounds creepier than I meant!)

    Stina - I don't envy you. We're moving in three years, and I'm already dreading it!

    Lynda - thanks. I accidentally picked three quite obscure ones this week.



    Claudia - thank you honey :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What great songs! Thanks for sharing those with us. And changing rooms around is tricky business. I don't envy you. Good luck to you as you get settled back in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rebecca - Thank you, and you're welcome :)

    Julie - If we ever get everything sorted, that's it until we move in three years!

    ReplyDelete

I happily answer all comments on my blog, and by email if it's not a 'noreply' address :-)